People and Sound in the Sea
People and Sound in the Sea
- Allphin, D. 1997-2002. Identifying Forage. The Ultimate Bass Fishing Resource Guide (http://www.bassresource.com/features/depthfinders.html)
- Altonn, H. 2003. Scientists use sonar to help identify favorite isle fish. Honolulu. Star-Bulletin (http://www.starbulletin.com).
- Benoit-Bird, K.J., Au, W.L., Kelley, C.D. and Taylor, C. 2003. Acoustic backscattering by deepwater fish measured in situ from a manned submersible. Deep Sea Research Part 1: Oceanographic Research Papers, 50(2): 221-229 p.
- Clark, C.W.1995. Acoustic tracking of whales using hydrophone arrays: Implications for behavioral studies and population estimates. Abstract from Acoustical Society of America 129th Meeting. (http://www.auditory.org/asamtgs/asa95wsh/4aAB/4aAB3.html)
- Cox, Albert W. 1974. Sonar and under water sound. D.C. Health Canada, Limited. Lexington, MA. 144 p. Fireman, J. 2002 Technology is key to sonar detection of fish size and species in real-time. Ocean News and Technology, May 2002. (http://www.mstarlabs.com/apeng/scifish2.html)
- Green, D. 2002. Large Area Monitoring of Marine Environments. Seoul Ocean Seminar of the 1st APEC Ocean-Related Ministerial Meeting, Proceedings.
- Hardison, Ray. 2001. Complex Signal Synthesis for Real-Time Simulations. Electronic Engineering Times. Sept. 25, 2001. (http://www.eetasia.com/ARTICLES/2001SEP/2001SEP25_BD_DSP_AN.PDF)
- McDonald, M.A., Hildebrand, J.A. and Webb, S.C. 1995. Blue and fin whales observed on a seafloor array in the Northeast Pacific, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 98(2): 712-721 p.
- McDonald, M.A., Hildebrand, J.A. and Webb, S.C. 1995. Vocalization tracking of blue and fin whales in the North Pacific. Abstract from Acoustical Society of America 128th Meeting, Austin, TX, November 1994. (http://www.auditory.org/asamtgs/asa94aus/4pAB/4pAB4.html)
- McDonald, M.A., Hildebrand, J.A., Webb, S., Dorman, L. and Fox, C.G. 1993. Vocalizations of blue and fin whales during a midocean ridge airgun experiment. Abstract from Acoustical Society of America 126th meeting, Denver, CO, October 1993. (http://www.auditory.org/asamtgs/asa93dnv/4pAB/4pAB5.html)
- Medwin Herman and Clay, Clarence S. 1998. Fundamentals of acoustical oceanography. Academic Press. Boston. 712 p.
- Moore, S.E., Watkins, W.A., Daher, M.A., Davies, J.R. and Dahlheim, M.E. 2002. Blue Whale Habitat Associations in the Northwest Pacific: analysis of remotely-sensed data using a Geographic Information System. Oceanography 15 (3): 20-25 p. (http://nmml.afsc.noaa.gov/CetaceanAssessment/bluewhale/bluhabitat.html)
- Moore, S.E., Stafford, K.M., Dahlheim, M.E., Fox, C.G., Braham, H.W., Polovina, J.J., and Bain, D.E. 1998. Seasonal variation in reception of fin whale calls at five geographic areas in the North Pacific. Marine Mammal Science 14(3): 617-627 p.
- Spindel, R.C., and P.F. Worcester. 1990. Ocean acoustic tomography. Scientific American 263: 94-99 p.
- Watlington, Frank. 1979. How to Build and Use Low-Cost Hydrophones. Tab Books. Blue Ridge Summit, PA. 140 p.
- Wit, Joel S. 1981. Advances in antisubmarine warfare. Scientific American 244(2): 31-41 p.
- Wolf, G. 1998. U.S. Navy Sonobuoys - Key to Antisubmarine Warfare. Sea Technology, Nov. 1998. 41-44 p.
Internet Resources are in the Resources Link below
- 1999, "Alaska Sea Grant- Tools of Ecosystem Management." (Link)
- "Biosonics - Marine Hydroacoustic Assessment Techniques for Fish & Plankton." (Link)
- "Boat U.S. Presents Chuck Husick - Fish Finders." (Link)
- Fireman, J. 5/1/2002, "Data Acquisition Technology is Key to Sonar Detection of Fish Size and Species in Real Time." Ocean News and Technology, May 2002. (Link)
- "Dive and DIscover - Sound is the Answer to Underwater Navigation." (Link)
- "Dive and Discover- Mapping the Ocean Floor with Echo Sounding." (Link)
- "Institute for Marine Acoustics- Acoustics and Sonar Primer." (Link)
- "Klein Associates." (Link)
- "Lowrance Electronics Inc - Sonar Tutorial: Fish Arches." (Link)
- "Lowrance Electronics, Inc. - Sonar Tutorial." (Link)
- "Mr. Wizard Predicts Future for Fish Finders." (Link)
- WHOI- Dive and Discover, "Multibeam Bathymetry -The Successor to the Single-Beam Echo sounding." (Link)
- Altonn, H. 6/2/2003, "Scientists use sonar to help identify favorite isle fish." 2003. Honolulu Star-Bulletin (Starbulletin.com) (Link)
- "The Ultimate Bass Fishing Resource Guide - Get Serious About Sonar." (Link)
- "University of New Hampshire: Center for Coastal & Ocean Mapping." (Link)
- "USGS Seafloor Mapping Technology." (Link)
- "WHOI Voyage to Punta Ridge - Measuring Water Depth: Echosounding." (Link)