How is sound used to measure rainfall over the ocean? - References, Additional Links, and Resources
- Ma, B.B., Nystuen, J.A., and Lien, R.-C. 2005, "Prediction of underwater sound levels from rain and wind." Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 117(6): 3555-3565.
- Nystuen, J.A. 2000, "NASA Earth Observatory Feature: Listening to Raindrops." (Link)
- Nystuen, J.A. 2001, "Listening to raindrops from underwater: An acoustic disdrometer." Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 18(10): 1640-1657.
- Nystuen, J.A., Amitai, E., Anagnostou, E.N., and Anagnostou, M.N. 2008, "Spatial averaging of oceanic rainfall variability using underwater sound: Ionian Sea rainfall experiment 2004." Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 123(4): 1952-1962.
- Wenz, G. M. 1962, "Acoustic ambient noise in the ocean: Spectra and sources." Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. 34, 1936-1956.
Additional Links on DOSITS
- Acoustic Rain Gauge (ARG)
- How is sound used to measure wind over the ocean?
- What are common underwater sounds?