People and Sound Summary
Research Ocean Physics
- How is sound used to measure temperature in the ocean?
- How is sound used to measure global climate change?
- How is sound used to measure currents in the ocean?
- How is sound used to measure waves in the surf zone?
- How is sound used to measure the upper ocean?
- How is sound used to help make long-term measurements of the ocean?
Examine the Earth
Investigate Marine Animals
History of Underwater Acoustics
- The Discovery of Underwater Acoustics: Pre-1800s
- The First Studies of Underwater Acoustics: The 1800s
- The First Practical Uses of Underwater Acoustics: The Early 1900s
- World War I: 1914-1918
- Between World War I and World War II: The 1920s and 1930s
- World War II: 1941-1945
- The Cold War: History of the SOund SUrveillance System (SOSUS)